Monday, March 8, 2010

Bears

For those of you who dont know this weekend was quite the adventure. Trev, Lex, Kendall and I went on a voyage to find Bears. Lexie's biology teacher apparently does this every year. They drive up into the mountains to find the bear's den. Then, they tranquilize the bear and observe it. Well, Kendall of course could not pass up the opportunity to touch a wild bear, so we decided to go. We headed down to Green River Friday night around 11 pm. We found a great little place to camp along the river and spent the night. Needless to say it was freezing, but thanks to the Sasquatch (our 2 man sleeping bag) I wasnt too cold. I cant speak for everyone else. The next morning we woke up and drove down to the meeting place. Luckily we barely made the convoy and headed up into the mountains another hour or so to the meeting point.
Here is the convoy we were following. You can only see 2 cars but there was about 30. It was a bigger group then we originally anticipated. Once we got there we still had to hike up the mountain to the cave. Here is lex and trev hiking away. As you can see the hike was more like a line. There was about 200 people waiting to see the bears.
Here is Ken and I. Can you tell how high we were?
After standing on the mountain for about an hour and a half we finally got our chance to see the bears. This was my first glance. The little yearling. There were 2 babies and the mother bear.
Here Lexie is touching the mother (her eyes were covered to protect them from dirt)
Lexie and I also got to pet the cub. We wanted to hold it but it wasnt allowed.
Kendall and Trev also with the baby.
Here I am checking out the mother. She was not as big as I expected, but her breathing was really loud and heavy so that made it kind of scary.
Here is Kendall saying goodbye to the cubs. After waiting so long we only got to spend about 2 minutes with the bears because there was still 50 people behind us. Kind of a bummer, but totally worth it.
On the way back we went the trail we came in on was really muddy. We had to stop and get gas so I took a picture of the muddiness.
After a long day we finally made it back home. It was totally worth the haul to see the bears, although I wish the group had been smaller.

8 comments:

Chelsea said...

holy. i didn't really think the bear touching business was serious, but apparently is was. im proud.

Lexie said...

This post should be entitled "gorgeous" the word of the trip. This day is georgeous, those bears are gorgeous, etc. At least we kept optimistic.

Mom said...

Wow, that was quite the adventure Mal. It doesn't look or sound like my cup of tea but I'm glad you all enjoyed yourselves.

P.S. Did you wash your hands after touching those bears?

Sara said...

who is the chick that is holding the baby bear as if it were her own? sounds like a fun little trip. what class is lexie in?

Kat said...

that's incredible! i can't believe you got to touch WILD BEARS! pretty epic trip...

Sondra said...

That is crazy! I want to do that! This must be the same teacher Lexie was telling me about. I think I love him.

Kathleen said...

how cool! i wish my bio teacher had done stuff like this. wasnʻt this the bird man?

nancy said...

Yea that looks pretty cool but I think I will stick with the zoo.