Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Puzzle Sandwich

A few of you may know that a few years back I invented something marvelous. This invention came from a necessity to spice up the making and eating of a school lunch. I thought to myself, what could take a plain and simple ordinary peanut butter sandwich to extraordinary? Well, instead of a simple diagonal or vertical cut, you place many cuts in the sandwich, creating a puzzle. I have to admit that my siblings did not appreciate this at first, you see it doesnt really travel well, and if not done correctly it can create somewhat of a mess. However, they came to appreciate the fun that it is to reconstuct the peices into their original shape. Well, it has been many years since I created a puzzle sanwhich, then while I was home in Georgia, I was making Colette a PBJ for her campout and i was inspired to create another puzzle sandwich after many years. She loved it. Sort of. I told Kendall about it and he seemed to like the idea. He made us lunch today, and i came in only to find an incredible puzzle sandwich waiting for me. I was so impressed. It was a pretty difficult one too. You should all try the puzzle sandwich, I think it could really spice up your lunch hour.

My puzzle sandwich lunch.

14 comments:

Chelsea said...

i think the puzzle sandwich is best when put into a plastic baggie, and then into a brown paper sack. after that it the entire brown sack should be shoved into a backpack, and after that into a locker. that makes it exceedingly difficult.

Kathleen said...

mom says it looks kind of gross. i think it looks spectacular. will you make me one when i come?

Mom said...

Mal please. Colette (and everyone else you've ever made one for) hated that freakin' puzzle sandwich. It's nothing but a total mess. The only person who gets enjoyment out of it is you because you laugh so hard during the prep, imagining the poor soul who has to consume the gross blob Chelsea has so perfectly described. Do your future children a favor and forget the puzzle sandwich, unless they are in need of punishment. Take my advice and use a serrated knife to make a nice clean diagonal cut and then add some kind of love note or maybe a 5 spot to brighten their day. Believe me, they'll thank you.

Sondra said...

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem of plain sandwiches has been weighing heavily on my mind.

Colette said...

Kendall's look pretty good but he needs to do more curvy cuts (like the one i had on my camp out) that helps the puzzle aspect.

Sondra said...

By the way, I love your mom.

Sondra said...

By the way, I love your mom.

Lexie Lee said...

Dont listen to mom, the classic P.S. is awesome. it creates not only food to eat, but food for thought as well. Very insightful.

Adam and Brittany said...

Love the idea. So, creative. It does add a little spice a plain sandwich.

B. said...

Lunchtime is relax and recline time... and how am I supposed to release if I'm stressing over putting my sandwich together? Seems like the puzzle sandwich might stress me out. 'A' for innovation though.

Sara said...

bahahaha. I'm glad I found your blog. I love the puzzle sandwich. I'm going to make one for spencer on monday.

nancy phipps said...

Holy crap, I can't believe you P.S. got 10 comments. I am thrilled if I get 3 on my blog. I guess I need to post more about food. I have to say I am totally with your mom about the sandwich.

GG said...

For the first time, I'm wondering if Kendall chose the right girl!! Puzzle sandwich???? x0x0x0

Anonymous said...

that rocks